Sunday, April 21, 2013

New Look 6613 ~ Cute Sundress ~ Pattern Stash Contest

Pattern Stash busting still in progress here!  I'm on my seventh pattern now and I feel great about it.  It is a good feeling to be using the patterns I intended to use but never got to!

New Look 6613 Cute Sundresses



















I chose to trace, cut and sew View A/B (the top two) in a straight size 8 for Miss K who wears a size 8 RTW.  There are only 3 pattern pieces for this dress, which is nice; one for the contrast band, one for the bodice, and one for the skirt.  The bodice is lined.  When looking at the pattern envelope, you don't see the back - I never knew the back had elastic gathers! LOL.  It turned out so cute and only took about 1.5 hours to sew.  The longest thing to tackle was hemming the skirt - because it is so full it took a bit of time.

front of dress

back view of dress

Instructions: Not one issue; perfectly fine and written well.  I chose not to add the bow, ribbon, or lace trimmings because Miss K isn't too keen on them.  I almost was able to match fabric pattern in the front. I think a contrasting top to bottom fabric would be lovely.  The only part I didn't like was attaching the back of the straps.  After you sew everything together you measure their placement and then simply top stitch over the previous casing lines.  As seen below.

Fabric: A lovely 100% cotton print I picked up ultra-cheap from Hancock's a bit ago.  It was on sale for $2.49 a yard. The pattern calls for 2 1/8 yard of 45" wide but I eeked it out of 2 yards just fine.

Total for the dress, minus thread: $4.98.

Love it!  I think I'll be tackling some other views of this dress because it is so fast and so lovely. The full skirt really makes the dress.

I had the dress done Friday but Miss K has had a 103.5 degree temp the last 3 days and I just somehow managed to get her to do pics today... she must be delusional from the temp lol

straps are pinned here for measuring but I finished them right after this (as seen above)

back view, inside out

And how is April treating us here in Wisconsin?

View from my front window....today April, 21, 2013!


~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

4 comments:

  1. I know this is an old post, but I wonder if you can help me with this dress. i made it for my granddaughter in size 5 and now am making it again in size 7. Unfortunately, I misplaced the pattern piece for the back that hods the elastic as well as the measuring guide for the elastic. Can you tell me the length and width of the casing pattern piece and the length of the elastic for size 7? My granddaughter is not here so I cannot use her for measuring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing! The back casing (#2) is 3.5 inches wide x 7.75 inches long. The elastic guide measures 12 and 3/8 inches for the length.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also making this dress for my granddaughters and misplaced the elastic guide. I'm need the size for a size 5 and a size 8 for the elastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I didn't get a notification when you posted this message. I'm sure by now, 5 years later, you have made your dresses. Again, my apologies.

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.