Sunday, June 30, 2013

4th of July Dress ~ New Look 6613

I originally made this dress April 2013 during the pattern stash busting challenge.  I enjoyed the swiftness of a finished product and wanted to do something similar for Miss K's 4th of July dress - which she insisted on having and picked out the fabric herself.

I stayed with View A/B in a straight size 8 for Miss K who wears a size 8 in RTW.  There are only 3 pattern pieces for this dress which is nice; one for the band, one for the bodice and one for the skirt.  The bodice is lined and the back of the dress has elastic gathers.   The dress turned out cute with a contrasting bodice and elastic band.  It also fits perfectly.
Front of dress

The instructions are easy to understand and I had no issues.  I again chose not to add bows, ribbon, or lace trimmings because Miss K doesn't like them.
Back of dress

Fabric: The pattern calls for 2 1/8 yard of 45" wide but I eeked it out of 2 yards just fine.  I had to do some strategic placing of the bodice pieces and band piece within the 1/2 yard of strips because they all have to be on the fold.

Owls: Timeless Treasures Patriotic Owls Blue: 1.5 yards $11.73
Stripes: Freedom Star Stripes Celebrations Red/White/Blue: 0.5 yard $3.39
Total for the dress: $15.12 - a bit much for a one day dress but I'm sure K will wear it all summer.  After these pictures were taken she refused to take it off; also, she was dead set on those owls and wouldn't hear of another, cheaper, fabric.

I love this dress too!  K will rock it on the 4th which also happens to be her dad's birthday.  Someday I'll tackle other views of this dress because it is so fast and lovely.  The full skirt really makes the dress - it is perfect for twirling.


~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.