Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ottobre 03/2013 #39 Beisbol Raglan T-shirt

I promised Mr. T I would make him this shirt and it sat for 2 weeks on my table. I have no excuse really.  I wanted to sew it but yet I just didn't feel like it too.  T never asks for me to sew him anything, yet he is so excited when I make him things.  He is a funny kid.

He actually picked out this fabric from the $3.95/yd table a few weeks back.  It is 60 wide and I still have enough left for either a tee for me or leggings for Miss K.


Anyway, this is Ottobre 03/2013 #39 Beisbol Raglan T-shirt in size 146


Mr. T wears a size 10 in RTW but he is skinny; most RTW is very baggy on him width-wise.  So for this shirt I actually had T try on his sister's rainbow shirt (lol, poor kid) and it fit well, but was a bit short.  I traced and cut a 146 for him but added an inch to the length.



I added only 1/4" seam allowances because I knew I would use my serger for all the seam construction.  I did stitch over the serger seams on the armpits for added strength.


I top-stitched the sleeve cuffs and neck.  I used my stretch double needle with wonder tape for the bottom hem.

bottom hem

my new labels! yay!

This tee went together fast and without much issue.  The only snag I ran into was when I came to the neckline binding.  It looked so small, like a cuff.  I went and re-cut the pattern piece on the fold, thinking I forgot to do that, but then it was way too big.  So I measured the neck opening (17in) and multiplied it by my usual 0.75 for neck binding to come up with 12.75; add 0.5 seam allowance total (1/4  for each side) and I cut my binding at 13.25.  I measured this up against the original pattern piece and it was only about an inch longer. Shrug.  I sewed it on thinking it would be too small for T's head to fit through but it turned out just fine.

I tried my very best to line up the stripes.

Likes:
fits T perfectly
fast to sew
doesn't take much yardage - I'd say 1/2 yard of 60" wide
looks cute

Dislikes:
none!

                                                     T is over the moon happy with it


This is a great pattern.  It also has a variation of a polo tee.  I'm sure we will keep this in the "it works" pile for awhile.
front

back

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

2 comments:

  1. Great looking shirt! He sure looks pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Such a success on both ends when I'm happy and he's happy!

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.