Monday, May 26, 2014

Ottobre 06/2012 #22 Camisole as Nightgown

As I mentioned previously, the kids needed summer pjs.  Having made 2 for Mr. T, now it was Miss K's turn.
 

I spied Ottobre 06/2012 #22 - a woven camisole that gathers under bust.  I figured it would be easy to convert it to a nightgown, plus the pattern is for a woven already.  K sizes at a 134 bodice (and height) but I foolishly cut a 140 because I thought it might be tight on her seeing as it is a woven. I also cut the back bodice in 2 pieces, not on the fold, adding extra for the snap/buttons because I thought K would not be able to get it on over her head.  Well, trust me, she can get it over her head no problem.
Also, K measures a 146 for hip so I cut the bottom panel at a 146 and doubled the length.  I omitted the front placket for sake of speed and simplicity.

 

I used fold over elastic for the neckline and sleeve facings.  I followed the instructions of not adding seam allowance to those areas too, but they turned out tight in the armholes.  Ha! The rest of the nightgown is big but the armholes are small. Go figure. She claims they don't bother her and she wore the puppy one all day Saturday, and the kitty one all day Sunday and today!


I'll be honest; I didn't follow any directions. I had a nice relaxing time just doing my own thing.  I only ran into one problem when I sewed the bottom panel R sides together and wondered why it was so skinny. Oops! I forgot to cut TWO on the fold. But I had enough fabric so I just went back and cut the extra panel and all was well.

 

It is a cute pattern for a nightgown or camisole.  K loves that it is twirly and long.  The nights have been warmer so she is also happy not to be wearing flannel! I like that it was an easy sew, used up cotton fabric, and that the sizing goes up to 152 cm so it will last a long time.

 

Fabric: Dress 1 - Puppy fabric, 2 yards, $2.36 total! woot!
            Dress 2 - Kitty fabric, 2 yards, $8 total
Both were purchased within sewing groups on Facebook.

Here is the Ottobre Line Drawing


On other fronts, there are lots of happenings in my sewing room.  I guess I should be happy I have lots to sew, but it does get me a bit antsy.

  • I'm still working on the shorts for me - it's going ok. I'm trying to settle on the best fitting pattern from my muslins
  • I've started getting a swim suit traced for Miss. K - Jalie 3023 (I traced off all the brief/skirt pieces in the flat, not the fold, today and then she tells me she doesn't want a skirt... OMG girl). We now have the swim shorts pattern on order Jalie 3351 - with the tank from Jalie 3023 still. 
  • I also ordered swim suit fabric for me :D  I'm excited about that one
  • I have a maxi dress pattern all lined up and the fabric pre-washed. McCall's 6559
  • I have a nice fitting tank top pattern for Mr. T traced out and ready to go
  • And Ottobre 03/12 #13 woven tunic for Miss K cut and ready to sew

Whew! I'll be busy.  What is on your sewing table?

We've also been having a lot of warm weather fun ;-)

May Totals:
(stash is anything purchased before this year)
Stash used: 0 yards
Fabric Out: 15 yards
Fabric In: 28

Totals for the year to date:
Stash sew this year: 27 yards
Fabric out in 2014: 110 yards
Fabric in 2014: 105.5 yards

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

4 comments:

  1. I can see why she likes them! Great prints and just the right amount of swish. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa :) She seems to think they are dresses and not pjs. LOL - we've been arguing about it lately

      Delete
  2. Yeah, you know summer is here when they have to switch over to summer jammies! The nightgowns are lovely - (I've been making too many pj pants and t-shirts for tops!) Hopefully the armholes don't bother her; otherwise maybe you'd get another year out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a nice feeling to put away those heavy winter clothes! Right now K is in a nightgown phase ;-) It would be awesome for her to slow down her growing so she can wear them next year too!

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.