Friday, April 15, 2016

First Maxi for the Summer!


Here’s my first maxi for the summer! 

maxi 12

Stitch Upon A Time (or SUAT), recently released the “Shirtzie” pattern.  I loved everything about it so I had to get the pattern and sew it right away. 

maxi 8

I normally sew a size Medium for all SUAT top patterns so I started with that.  It was too tight so I sized up to a Large.  However, after I did this I realized my fabric is thicker and has more spandex than my normal Cotton Lycra, so it might just be the fabric causing me to size up. 

maxi 1

While I loved this pattern, I didn’t love that the skirt gathered all the way around.  Pear shapes should not have gathers at the hip.  So I grabbed my skirt from SUAT’s similar pattern, the Brazi, (a tank maxi) and used that skirt.  It has gathers only in the front. The pieces from both patterns are interchangeable.

maxi 2

I also slimmed down the skirt for a more straight look than the flared bottom of the pattern.  I just eyeballed that part but mainly I went to the normal hip mark and then went straight down from there instead of flaring out. 

maxi 3

I also had to cut the back skirt with a center back seam to save fabric.  I added seam allowance at center to make up for this.  With my busy print you can barely tell.

maxi 4

I had to shorten the hem by 4 whole inches!  And I’m 5’7” tall!  Honestly I’ve had this dress sewn most the week now but didn’t feel like hemming it.  Today I finally did.

maxi 5

The pattern goes together really easy.  There are picture steps as well as words.  This is a PDF pattern.  I love being able to print in layers (only the sizes you need) and I print “borderless” on  my printer setting so it is a breeze to tape together. 

maxi 9

Fabric:  1/2 yard of 11 oz Dark Navy Blue Cotton Lycra Knit purchased March 2016, $1.98; and 2 yards of Navy/Ivory Floral T-Shirt Jersey Knit, 100% cotton, purchased also March 2016 $7.90.  Total for dress: $9.88

maxi 11

Thoughts:  I really love that this maxi dress has waist definition.  As a pear shaped woman I find it hard to wear any dress that does not snug in at the waist; my proportions get all thrown off and I look larger than I really am.  So this pattern was perfect for me. 

maxi 13

We have a bit of a heat wave this next week so I’m looking forward to wearing my new maxi dress!  (77°F is really warm for the Midwest this time of year, we just came from 40°F).

maxi 6

maxi 7



*~*  Happy Sewing! *~*

Kristin


6 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. I bet you will wear it a lot this summer! I hope you won't see anymore cold weather now. I love seeing the countryside in your photos. It reminds me of Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! I hope to wear it lots. It's prettier than jeans and a tee, or pajama pants. I'm glad I can remind you of Germany :) It is pretty Wisconsin

      Delete
  2. I didn't buy this pattern but I may have to now, grr! You look great. It's really flattering on you and you don't look pear like at all--the gathers in the middle are a great idea. Seriously beautiful, love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! I love this pattern, you should try it, plus it's easy to wear!

      Delete
  3. This is so cute on you!!! I predict a couple more will roll out of your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.